Kristie Onkoba, Quality Assurance Performance Improvement Coordinator | October 27, 2017
CMS created a star rating system to help residents, families, and caregivers compare skilled nursing communities, and to provide them with meaningful distinctions between high-performing and low-performing communities. This system rates communities between 1 and 5 stars. Quality Measures (QMs) are one of the three categories used by CMS in this 5-star rating system.
Quality Measures provide insight on how well a skilled nursing community cares for their residents’ overall health, physical functioning, mental health, and well-being. They’re made up of information that is continuously being collected from all the residents that live in the community every day. They assess a variety of indicators of resident well-being, including how well a community can prevent pressure ulcers, manage a resident’s pain, prevent infections like urinary tract infections, manage a resident’s behaviors without resorting to using antipsychotic medications, and manage chronic illnesses without recurrent hospital stays for residents. As CMS.gov puts it, the goal of these measures is to ensure effective, safe, efficient, patient-centered, equitable, and timely care.
Well, a dedicated, mission-focused management team is a great start. At the core of everything we do at Villa St. Francis is our mission – “Embracing Christ’s love for all people, we serve those who need care with compassion, excellence, and dignity.” In 2016, our management team forged a multi-pronged strategy to provide care that exceeded expected standards for our residents.
Our strategy is based on four main pillars:
1. We set out to create an environment that focuses on every resident in a personal way.
2. We assess the needs of each resident and develop a plan of care to make sure that every resident’s lifestyle at Villa St Francis is truly individualized.
3. We refocused our programming around our greatest asset – our staff.
4. We created an environment where teamwork and collaboration are encouraged by streamlining communication and embracing new ideas.
Our approach is based on our mission, and our keys to success are ingrained in our 5 values which have led to our 5-star quality measures rating:
1. Faith: forms our purpose and guides our actions.
2. Integrity: calls us to honor the whole person in body, mind, and spirit.
3. Excellence: inspires us to serve beyond expected standards.
4. Compassionate service: commits us to give care selflessly to others.
5. Respect: creates a community that values the dignity of all.
“At the core of everything we do at Villa St. Francis is our mission – ‘Embracing Christ’s love for all people; we serve those who need care with compassion, excellence, and dignity.’ This mission inspires us every day to serve beyond expected standards, and to truly set the bar for excellence in care.” – Kristie Onkoba, Quality Assurance Performance Improvement Coordinator
See the difference that a mission-driven team can make firsthand. Schedule your visit today by calling (913) 829-5201, or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.