Founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1945, Villa St. Francis began as a home for the elderly where those with meager resources might spend their declining days in comfort under religious auspices. Starting with only 45 rooms, Villa St. Francis, formerly Mount St. Joseph, served the people of the Kansas City in Kansas Diocese. In an effort to better meet the needs of over 300 diocesan faithful on their waitlist, the community expanded by relocating in 1977 and began accepting additional patients for its 205 newly renovated rooms. This new facility was named St. Joseph Care Center. In the ensuing years, St. Joseph Care Center continued to serve the needs of inner-city people that not only had a need for care, but for jobs as well. By 1994, St. Joseph Care Center was the largest not-for-profit nursing facility in the state of Kansas.
In 1998, due to limitations in the growth and updating of the facility, St. Joseph Care Center moved to Olathe, Kansas. To avoid confusion with St. Joseph Hospital, the move also brought about the change in name to Villa St. Francis.
Today, Villa St. Francis continues the same tradition of quality care to the citizens of Northeast Kansas with love, care and respect. With daily mass, sisters who are registered nurses, and priests available 24 hours a day for pastoral care, residents of Villa St. Francis receive the spiritual support the community was founded on. Sponsored by the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas, our dedicated team provides compassionate care and comfort through a welcoming environment for residents and their families.